New Study Reveals Top 5 Reasons People Leave Their Jobs

It has been a long-held belief that the main reason people leave their jobs is because of their managers. But a new report by IBM’s Smarter Workforce Institute, which looks at data from 22,000 employees, says otherwise. In discussing the new study, Talent Management and HR asks, “So why has this concept of employees leaving […]

Disasters And The Cost Of Meh

As we’ve previously shared, only 33% of U.S. workers are engaged at work. Engaged employees feel emotionally connected to their workplace, are excited to be there, and have a sense of purpose in their work. They’re like “yay!” On the other hand, the remaining 67% of workers are disengaged—they aren’t involved in, enthusiastic about, and […]

How To Create A Role And Outcome Statement

Making Expectations Clear

Ever since I shared the importance of establishing clear expectations for employees, I’ve gotten requests to help you do that. Only 60% of U.S. employees strongly agree that they know what is expected of them at work, which leaves 40% guessing and the engagement level plummeting. At EnergyCAP, Inc., we’ve created role and outcome statements […]

Does Engagement Apply To Churches?

We’ve written previously about employee engagement within the workplace. This reader wonders if the same principles apply to congregations: “What you’ve written about engagement…does it also apply to church members? What does engagement look like in a church?” That’s an excellent question and as a leader in a new church, a question that personally interests […]

8 Big Benefits Of Establishing A Role And Outcome Statement For Every Employee

Advantages to Clear Expectations

As I shared in “Giving Employees A Home,” only “6 in 10 U.S. employees strongly agree that they know what is expected of them at work,” which drives disengagement in the American workforce (Gallup). Since clear expectations are critical for employees, our company has established a unique role and outcome statement for each position. Everyone from […]

Giving Employees A Home

Making Expectations Clear

This is a very special time of year for our family. Tomorrow we celebrate our son Asher’s eighth birthday. But that’s not why it’s so special. We adopted Asher from the Philippines when he was four—four years ago—which means on this birthday, Asher will have lived with us longer than he has lived with anyone […]

The Epidemic of the American Workforce

Recently the Gallup Organization published its 2017 State of the American Workplace report. Gathering data from more than 195,000 employees and 31 million survey respondents, the report looks at the American workforce. It’s critical reading because it contains critical information about your life. Did you catch that? I said it contains critical information about your […]